Serving the burgeoning wave of automobile owners, Rincon Garage was constructed in the early 1900s in the 900 block of Linden Avenue along what is now called Wullbrandt Way. The garage was owned by Walter Dowling and Frank Stewart, two entrepreneurs who benefited from Henry Ford’s success with mass production of the Model T. Ford, launched by his conveyor belt-fed assembly lines in 1913. By 1927, more than 15 million Model T cars had been made.
Dowling and Stewart must have felt the impact of the faraway Ford assembly lines; they expanded Rincon Garage in the early 1920s to feed the fast-growing demands of a population quickly acquiring cars. The popularity and accessibility of cars increased for decades, and Rincon Garage was later converted into a Chevron station, one of many spots to fuel up along—or just off—the Coast Highway, now Carpinteria Avenue.