J.B. Andrews home

Pictured around 1910, the J.B. Andrews home on the corner of Carpinteria and Maple avenues changed owners and was eventually moved to its current location on the corner of Oak Avenue and 8th Street.

Built on the corner of Carpinteria and Maple avenues in 1890, J.B. Andrews’ grand home clearly reflected the good taste and refinement of its residents. Now the same home stands on the corner of Oak Avenue and 8th Street, where the color and ornate detailing has changed, but the home’s elegance and refinement still reflect well on its 21st century owners.

Carpinteria legend says that the house’s elaborate design is rooted in romance. J.B. Andrews’ fiancé in his hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin, allegedly refused to move to California unless J.B. built her a home in the spitting image of the one she had grown up in. He did just as she asked, and the young woman became Mrs. J.B. Andrews and moved across the country to a familiar house in an unfamiliar state.

Andrews’ wife, Elsie, ultimately lived in the house for many years, but Andrews himself didn’t live long into the 20th century, according to an article by Albertina Rodriguez published in the Carpinteria Herald in 1968.

Around the year 1920, Andrews’ widow married Dr. Jerome Tubbs, who was the preacher at the Presbyterian Church. Later Tubbs became a justice of the peace, and he kept an office in the tank house beside the home (pictured above to the right of the main house). The tank house was topped with a windmill and came to be known as the Windmill Courthouse. Its quirky fame spread, eventually attracting enough attention to be included in a Ripley’s Believe It or Not cartoon.

The house was purchased by Frank Hebel in 1938, and he relocated the structure to its current home less than a mile away. Hebel rented the house to the Franklin family, who lived there when a fire broke out and caused extensive damage to the roof and the upper story of the home. For two years, the house sat empty with gaping holes in the roof where rain would pour into the rooms during the winter.

Assumed by many to be a tear down, the house was sold for $8,000 to the Dozier family who painstakingly restored it to its former glory. According to a 1988 Carpinteria Herald article, Donald Dozier and his wife lived in the house’s attic for five years while they provided the TLC that the neglected house needed.

To learn more about Carpinteria’s unique and interesting past, visit the Carpinteria Valley Museum of History, open Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m. at 956 Maple Ave.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.