Knights of Pythias building

The Carpinteria Masonic Lodge’s long history began on the second floor of the Knights of Pythias building on Linden Avenue at Wullbrandt Way. 

The Carpinteria Masonic Lodge’s long history began on the second floor of the Knights of Pythias building on Linden Avenue at Wullbrandt Way. 

Charter members Guy Bliss, Charles Anderson, Westley Hickey, James Deaderick, Amos Olney, Jerome Tubbs, Henry Fish, DeWitt Humphrey, Mads Christensen, Tom Fish, Glenn Hickey, Floyd Hickey, John Ogan and George Senteney held their first meeting on Dec. 13, 1913, and the charter was made official on Oct. 14, 1914. 

One hundred and seven years later, Carpinteria Masonic Lodge No. 444 continues to be a supportive organization to the community, sponsoring the annual Carpinteria Spelling Bee for Middle School, contributing to the Carpinteria High School Kitchen Remodel Fund, acknowledging monthly student recognition, and providing two annual high school student scholarships. 

The current Carpinteria Masonic Lodge #444 is located at 5421 Carpinteria Ave., next to the post office.

 

 

To learn more about Carpinteria history, visit the Carpinteria Valley Museum of History’s website carpinteriahistoricalmuseum.org to access more articles on local history. To support the preservation of local history, consider becoming a member of the Carpinteria Historical Society.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.